The most widely used contraceptives in France are...

The pill is less and less popular with French women while the use of the copper IUD continues to increase according to a study by the ANSM. What about patches? Contraceptive implants? List of preferred contraceptives in France.

  The most widely used contraceptives in France are...

French women use less and less combined hormonal contraception (pill, rings, patch), which present higher risk of adverse health effects , show a study of the National Medicines Agency (ANSM) carried out in collaboration with the GIS EPI-Phare, updated on September 26, 2022. For example, the use of pills oestroprogestatives - linked to an increased risk of thrombosis venous - is down 36% for 10 years. On the other hand, hormonal contraceptives containing a progestogen alone (pill) or copper IUDs are increasingly popular.

What are the most used pills in France?

Even if it is the contraceptive method the most used in France (32% of women aged 15-49 in 2018 in France) , the use of oral contraception ( pill ) has experienced a 15% decline over the past 10 years.

► The use of combined estrogen-progestogen pills is down -36%. These pills, which cause an increased risk of venous thrombosis (phlebitis, pulmonary embolism ), only represent about 10% of total current sales in this category, down from 46% in 2011.

► Sales of progestogen-only pills have doubled between 2011 and 2021. These pills contain only a progestin (levonorgestrel, desogestrel or drospirenone) and therefore have a different safety profile than a combination pill.

► In 2021, just over 50 million pill packs (all types combined) were sold in France (compared to 60 million in 2011). The best selling pills are those of 1 time or 2 do generation containing levonorgestrel associated with a low estrogen dosage (20 μg): Adépal®, Daily Gé®, Ludéal Gé®, Minidril®, Leeloo®...

  annual sales of oral contraceptives in France (source Openhealth)
annual sales of oral contraceptives in France (source Openhealth)

What are the most used IUDs in France?

► Sales of intrauterine devices ( SAYS or IUDs) to levonorgestrel ( Mirena®, Jaydess® and Kyleena® ) are stable. Carriers of levonorgestrel IUDs are more often over 35 years old and with more gynecological history than users of Copper IUD .

Use of copper IUDs has steadily increased over the past 10 years , with an increase of around 80%.

► Sales of copper IUDs have been stable for the past 3 years (excluding 2020) and represent more than half of IUD sales in France such as: Gynelle®, Mona Lisa®...

What about other contraceptives?

► The use of ' contraceptive implant Nexplanon® (method based on a progestogen alone (etonogestrel)) has been stable for 10 years (except over the entire period of the Covid epidemic (March 2020 to April 2021) when it decreased by 16%). In 2021, approximately 225,000 Nexplanon® implants were sold in France.

► The use of contraceptive patch (Evra®, the only patch marketed in France) has been declining for 10 years , with a decrease in sales of around 50%. In 2021, just over 600,000 patches were sold in France (compared to 1,300,000 in 2010).

► The use of vaginal rings (Etoring, Nuvaring) dropped by 50% in 10 years. In 2021, just over 400,000 vaginal rings were sold in France (compared to 1,000,000 in 2010).

Female contraception: the methods with the least risk of adverse effects are increasingly chosen, ANSM, September 26, 2022 / Combined oral contraceptives: prefer 1st or 2nd generation 'pills', Haute Autorité de Santé.