Consisting of eating a very spicy chip and not eating or drinking to have a blue tongue, the OneChipChallenge appeals to many teenagers. However, it is not without danger to health and has caused intense abdominal pain in young Americans. Focus on this disturbing new phenomenon.
[Update September 30 at 12:21 p.m.] #OneChipChallenge: this is the very popular new challenge on TikTok that worries parents and health professionals. After the Labello challenge and the deodorant challenge, it is indeed the new challenge which amuses teenagers, but which can also put them in serious danger. The Paqui brand is behind this challenge, which was originally launched in 2016. It consists of swallowing a particular chip that contains a significant amount of Carolina Reaper and Scorpion, some of the hottest peppers in the world. , and to refrain from eating and drinking to have a blue tongue. ' Eat the chips Wait as long as possible before eating or drinking anything (...) Post your reaction on social media with #onechipchallenge and mention @paquichips “, indicates, in fact, the brand on its site.
' Each year, the Paqui team raises the bar and offers a challenge that pushes the intrepid to exceed their limits (...) They are warned, the challenge is not for the faint-hearted . Only the bravest will be able to prove they've taken it up when they show their blue tongue ', explained Brandon Kieffer, principal director of Paqui, who however specifies on his site that this challenge is not recommended for ' people sensitive to spicy foods, allergic to peppers, nightshades or capsaicin, pregnant people and people with health problems '. Paqui also indicates to hold these chips' out of reach of children ' and ' wash your hands after swallowing the chips '. The brand also advises to consult a doctor in case of ' breathing difficulties, vomiting and dizziness '! But these warnings, all in all a little light, did not prevent this challenge from quickly becoming viral on TikTok in the United States, where chips have even had to be banned in many schools.
This challenge is not without danger and many accidents have been reported across the Atlantic, particularly in California, Texas and Alabama. Responding to the nickname angela_b157, the niece of a young girl thus published on TikTok photos of the teenager writhing in pain in the hospital after having taken up this challenge under the encouragement of relatives.
In Texas, a 15-year-old student even fainted after being the victim of convulsions . ' I was called to class because one of our students had lost consciousness (...) He passed out due to vasoconstriction (decrease in the caliber of blood vessels) caused by his blood pressure high “, explained to KBTX, Valerie Layne, the director of the establishment of the teenager. On Twitter, people who took up this challenge also reported their discomfort.
I ate the whole chip— (@elite__milk) September 29, 2022
then I started projectile vomiting, I peed my pants, and my nose was bleeding. 2 hrs later im still in pain. #onechipchallenge pic.twitter.com/fZP5lmNCvm
We do NOT recommend this product. Its been about 8 hours and @tx_bryce is STILL in painand he loves spicy food! #onechipchallenge pic.twitter.com/kjf9yjqwRN— Tiffany Hoelzel (@Tiffany_Hoelzel) September 25, 2022
The consumption. of these crisps stored in the mouth is not, in fact, without danger to health. In particular, capsaicin, the active component of peppers present in crisps. ' These chips not only cause a burning sensation in the mouth when ingested, but they can also do so in the throat, esophagus, stomach, and lower gastrointestinal tract (...) capsaicin can also cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain ', pediatrician Brett Christiansen explained to Today. In France, the health authorities have not yet reacted, but more and more parents are worried and warning about the imminence of his arrival.Source journaldesfemmes.fr